Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/02/14 at 11:47:00
News: Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

Pages: 1
U-joints (Read 1596 times)
Redline
Rubber Scrubber

2002 Black/Red

U-joints
02/22/11 at 14:48:04

Read this on the VRCC board, if it's true, still no new u-joints. Sorry Bubba!  cry

Here is the deal....honda ran out of u-joints...they went to their u-joint maker-company-a...company-a was out of business because of economy....so then they had to find another company to manufacture the u-joint-here is where we get company-b.....company-b makes a couple of them, but these won't meet honda's standards....so...honda trackes down the owners of company-a, and finally buys the equipment to make the u-joints from them....then honda leases this equipment to company-b, who very quicklly breaks the tooling of the leased equipment......now.....honda is in the process of thrying to decide to try to fix the tooling, or to purchase new equipment.  therefore.....not one u-joint has been produced for sale as of yet, and who knows when that will happen.    

Redline  Cool

Destination unknown...but making good time!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Weekend Warrior

Re: U-joints
Reply #1 - 02/23/11 at 15:09:40

Hinshaw's said mine would be in sometime in March!  Shocked Angry Angry Shocked

72 XL 250, 78 CB 750, 81 900 Super Sport,
84 V65 Sabre, 91 ST 1100, 98 Valkyrie,
04 ST 1300, 2011 POLARIS RZR

The sun isn't yellow..........it's chicken....
  IP Logged
BuffaloBob
Weekend Warrior

Beware, DRBs posting

Reply #2 - 02/23/11 at 16:07:52

In what year in March ???? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley cry cry cry cry

If you have black you only have Half and need RED to complete. Two tone goes faster.
  IP Logged
Gordonv
VERMIN Regular

North bound from Las
Vegas - 2010

Reply #3 - 02/23/11 at 21:04:49

Quote from Redline on 02/22/11 at 14:48:04:
Read this on the VRCC board, if it's true, still no new u-joints. Sorry Bubba!  cry

Here is the deal....honda ran out of u-joints...they went to their u-joint maker-company-a...company-a was out of business because of economy....so then they had to find another company to manufacture the u-joint-here is where we get company-b.....company-b makes a couple of them, but these won't meet honda's standards....so...honda trackes down the owners of company-a, and finally buys the equipment to make the u-joints from them....then honda leases this equipment to company-b, who very quicklly breaks the tooling of the leased equipment......now.....honda is in the process of thrying to decide to try to fix the tooling, or to purchase new equipment.  therefore.....not one u-joint has been produced for sale as of yet, and who knows when that will happen.    

Redline  Cool

And there is Jays post further down

I have posted this several times before.

I had a driveline service shop look at my u-joint/yoke assembly.  He was able to replace the joint with one that fits a 2002 and newer Honda CR-V.  It is a Spicer #430-9A.  Because of the way the yoke is made, there is no way to use snap rings or clips to secure the joint in the yoke.  Therefore, the shop tack welded the new joint to the yoke.  It has an inverted grease fitting, so it can be greased next time I check the propeller shaft, etc.

The bike has been stored for winter, but I have about 2,000 miles on this u-joint.
I'm not saying this is the answer, but it has worked for me and I will run it this way until it fails.

We just need to wait till some miles are but on it. I don't really understand the post. Sounds like he replaced the universale end caps, and then had them welded in place becasue there was no where for a clip to go it, since they get "pressed" in?

Email   IP Logged
Redline
Rubber Scrubber

2002 Black/Red

Reply #4 - 02/24/11 at 09:32:14

Quote from Gordonv on 02/23/11 at 21:04:49:
Quote from Redline on 02/22/11 at 14:48:04:

Redline  Cool

And there is Jays post further down

I have posted this several times before.

I had a driveline service shop look at my u-joint/yoke assembly.  He was able to replace the joint with one that fits a 2002 and newer Honda CR-V.  It is a Spicer #430-9A.  Because of the way the yoke is made, there is no way to use snap rings or clips to secure the joint in the yoke.  Therefore, the shop tack welded the new joint to the yoke.  It has an inverted grease fitting, so it can be greased next time I check the propeller shaft, etc.

The bike has been stored for winter, but I have about 2,000 miles on this u-joint.
I'm not saying this is the answer, but it has worked for me and I will run it this way until it fails.

We just need to wait till some miles are but on it. I don't really understand the post. Sounds like he replaced the universale end caps, and then had them welded in place becasue there was no where for a clip to go it, since they get "pressed" in?

The Valkyrie u-joint was not designed to be replaceable. It is designed to be replaced as a unit, the two yokes and the u-joint as an assembly. The joint is staked in to the yokes, the yokes are not designed or machined for retaining clips.

Yes, the joint can be removed from the yokes and yes, a new joint could be pressed into the yokes but centering and retaining is the challenge. Yes, it can be done...I would rather just buy a new assembly.

Redline  Cool

IP Logged
BuffaloBob
Weekend Warrior

Beware, DRBs posting

Reply #5 - 02/24/11 at 23:28:28

Where do you find a good machine shop that can do the impossible? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

If you have black you only have Half and need RED to complete. Two tone goes faster.
  IP Logged
Redline
Rubber Scrubber

2002 Black/Red

Reply #6 - 02/25/11 at 09:25:31

Quote from buffalobobl on 02/24/11 at 23:28:28:
Where do you find a good machine shop that can do the impossible? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well...I do know of one...but doing the impossible gets real spendy.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Redline  Cool

IP Logged
BuffaloBob
Weekend Warrior

Beware, DRBs posting

Reply #7 - 02/25/11 at 13:54:37

What no Vermin discount? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Gordonv
VERMIN Regular

North bound from Las
Vegas - 2010

Reply #8 - 02/25/11 at 14:32:00

With the price on Honda Line as $64 (if/when they become available again) for a u-joint, there is no reason to fix it.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1